kYmberly Keeton is Academic Art Librarian and Assistant Professor at Lincoln University in Jefferson City, MO. kYmberly has been an ACRL member since 2014 and is your ACRL (Association of College & Research Librarians) member of the week for November 28, 2016.
1. Describe yourself in three words: I am an artistic, outgoing, and determined academic librarian.
2. What are you reading (or listening to on your mobile device)? I am currently reading White Teeth by Zadie Smith, and Who’s Afraid of Post Blackness by Touré; recently I finished Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates.
3. Describe ACRL in three words: I believe that ACRL represents transformational leadership, academic scholarship, collaborative spaces, and environments. I know that is more than three.
4. What do you value about ACRL? I value getting to know other academic librarians, learning about progressive initiatives, and being involved with different committees. As an early-career librarian, I have the opportunity to learn from others’ being a part of this field and organization and I welcome all that is before me. I find that there is always something to do to help propel you to the next level.
5. What do you, as an academic librarian, contribute to your campus? I am an academic librarian, assistant professor, and the arts library coordinator at Lincoln University Missouri. As a librarian, I help students with special research questions. I act as a liaison librarian for the humanities and am an ear to hear students’ needs regarding campus community-wide initiatives. I am also a professor of library science and I teach Hip Hop Information Literacy. I had the pleasure of creating the course and now it is housed under our minor. Additionally, as the arts library coordinator, I am responsible for all of the arts programming in the library and try to create a cultural hub for all things creative for students and faculty on campus through The Arts At Page Library.
6. In your own words: #sexylibrariansrock #iamacreativemixologist #iamthefuture #ubettathink2016